Sunday, March 17, 2013

Those Scientist People

I google searched "what does a scientist look like" and the first image that came up was this mad scientist type looking guy:

And this is what my friend, Julia Glauberman, a hisotry major drew as what she imagines when she thinks of a scientist:


I would admit that up until recently, I would also picture a similar, less crazy version of the first picture when I thought of a scientist - like the second picture, more Bill Nye the Science Guy. But I'm slowly realizing that I myself am a scientist because science is not bound to a degree. While I do think having a degree or multiple degrees in a scientific field makes a person more qualified, you don't need them to be a scientist.  I started thinking and referring to myself as a scientist after I became a fellow for the Center for Science and the Common Good and other people/my professors started grouping me into the term.  At first it was really odd for me to hear because it's not the first thing I would describe myself as.  The more I thought about it, however, if I'm not a scientist, what am I?


I am a scientist, albeit not the most qualified one, and I'm surrounded by my peers and professors at school who are also scientists with varying qualifications. I no longer imagine the stereotypical traditional and incorrect imagine of a scientist shown above because scientists aren't mysterious, pensive and old white men that are slogging away in a lab.  Scientists can young, old, male, female, ethnically diverse,  and are not bound to a lab full of chemicals.  Scientists are human just like everyone else.  All the scientists I know have families, enjoy watching movies and eating good food, and certainly do not talk about science all the time - it is important for people to know this.  It is time to change the stereotype of what a scientist looks like because this misinformed image of a scientist contributes to the intimidation and mistrust people have.  mistrust is certainly partly due to the fact that science has multiple sides of the story Scientific literacy is more important than ever and it's sad that people would prefer to listen to sweet mom Jenny McCarthy on autism over a much more qualified scientist.  
It is important for people to overcome the misconceptions they have by educating themselves but it is also the responsibility of scientists to make a more positive impact - there needs to be a change in scientific personality.  Scientists need to be accessible, regular people who can communicate effectively in an interesting way. I've never walked about of a complicated science lecture saying, "Wow, that was so impressive because it was so complicated and sounded so important that I had no idea what he/she was saying!"  It impresses me far more when anyone is able to explain their work to someone who does not have any background knowledge on it. 
Science writers play a huge role in this and can help bridge the disconnect between the public and science/scientists. I find it to be important to reflect the personality of what is being written about. The most interesting and effective science articles are the ones that not only identify why the science is important for the public but throw in personal stories or something humorous for scientists to connect with the readers on an easier/more personal level because, after all, scientists actually look like this: http://lookslikescience.tumblr.com/ 



No comments:

Post a Comment